Friday, February 22, 2008

Slant Invention

This week has been a pretty rough week. Sunday afternoon, my mom and I went down to Florida to visit my grandfather. We got a call at six am the next morning from my father informing us that my grandfather had died. We caught a flight back a few hours later and I spent most of my Monday and Tuesday laying about my house in shock. On Wednesday, I finally got to see my dad (my grandfather was my father's father). He seemed really upset. My brother came up from the city and was in pretty bad shape. Along with dealing with our grandfather's death, his girlfriend had broken up with him that morning. During the day, my dad would randomly tear up and at one point we for a walk at the Kensico Dam and ate at a diner.

Thursday was the funeral. It was postponed so much because my uncle couldn't get tickets up to New York until then. My mom's boyfriend, who co-owns a limo service, was nice enough to let us use a stretch limo for free so my mom, dad, step mom, brother, and the canter from the synagogue, and I rode down to Queens in it. The service was short and sad. My dad, brother, uncle, and cousin all spoke and my cousin seemed to be the most broken up about it. The whole thing was pretty depressing. I finally understood that my grandfather was dead. On the way back from the funeral, we stuck in traffic for an hour on some bridge and everyone else got back to my dad's house before us. It was really good to see my family again and I had a good time talking to a lot of my relatives. I learned a lot about my grandfather and my grandmother (who had passed away 13 years ago) that I didn't know. Later that evening, people from the synagogue came over and we had a minion. I was really suprised when I heard my brother singing the prayers. He is an atheist and does not like organized religion. I think my dad really appreciated it. Finally everyone left and I was able to go to sleep.

Today I've just spending my time watching tv, playing video games, and surfing the web. I don't feel contacting my friends and the snow storm encouraged my reclusiveness. My grandfather was a great man. He was kind and generous and I am truly going to miss his presence.

RIP Grandpa

1918-2008

-Suburban Bleach

No comments: